Last 2018, the World Health Organization (WHO) classified video game addiction as a mental health disorder, placing it in the ICD-11 classification of the International Classification of Diseases, which encompasses all disorders related to addictive behaviors.
Video game addiction: How does it occur?
Video game addiction is a mental health disorder that consists of the excessive or compulsive use of video games, which escalates into a severe condition that affects the personal life and regular activities of those who suffer from it.
Although studies of this condition began in the 1980s, it has become a phenomenon that affects children, young people and adults alike, causing behavioral disorders that can cause serious problems to those who manifest it.
Even today it is not easy to perceive the boundary between being a passionate gamer and suffering from an addiction, so it is vital that parents are familiar with this disease and its symptoms, so they can recognize it and know how to prevent it.
Video game addiction: When does it stop being entertainment?
As a principle, we must start by pointing out that not all video game enthusiasts have developed an addiction or are in the process of developing one, but if we have a child who is “too” passionate about his or her console, we need to know what signs to recognize.
The main symptoms that determine that there may be an addiction to video games are:
Abandonment of family, social or work interaction
As with all addictions, the individual becomes isolated and prioritizes gambling over other interests and daily activities.
Not being able to limit playing time
Losing track of time while playing, occasionally, does not constitute an alarm signal, until, even if the player is aware that he/she must stop to perform another activity or obligation, he/she is unable to do so. If the young person has more than four (04) hours a day of gambling, he/she must be controlled and observed.
Deterioration of academic or work performance
When daily activities and responsibilities are affected by playtime, it is necessary to be attentive.
Change in sleep habits
The video game addict engages in gaming during hours when he or she should be resting.
Main causes of video game addiction
There are many reasons why adolescents develop addiction to video games, so it is difficult to generalize and determine what the reasons are, as each case must be studied individually.
However, it has been determined that there are some personality characteristics that are similar in most of these addicted gamers, among them, the most commonly identified are the following:
- Introversion: Adolescents who lack social skills tend to “withdraw into their own world”, as they find it difficult to relate to other people. Most adolescents addicted to video games tend to have an introverted personality.
- Inability to communicate: This behavioral characteristic is a consequence of the previous one, and when young people do not know how to express their feelings they tend to isolate themselves from the people around them.
- Low frustration tolerance: Adolescents get frustrated when they fail to achieve their goals in their daily lives, so they find it very satisfying to be successful in achieving the goals of the game in the virtual world.
- Personal problems: These people often have problems at home, in their educational institutes or workplaces, so they prefer to escape into a fantasy world.
Depression: Depressed people are at risk of developing addictions.
Prevention methods: What to do to change adolescent behaviors
If you observe in your son or daughter behaviors associated with video game addiction, there are some recommendations that you can follow so that the situation does not continue to progress:
- Set limits for the use of video games: It should not exceed two hours a day.
- Seek to diversify activities in their free time: Sports, art, recreational activities or reading. There are various activities you can explore to determine the one you enjoy the most.
- Open and strengthen communication channels: Do not dismiss your child’s problems. Many victims of bullying end up developing this type of addictions.
Treatments for video game addiction
The most commonly used procedures in the treatment of video game addictions are:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapies, used in the treatment of numerous psychiatric and psychological disorders, which is oriented to provide the patient with the tools to behave appropriately in stressful situations. This treatment is usually long and has a high cost in bills for professional services.
- Rehabilitation centers, an expensive treatment in which multidisciplinary teams of medical professionals and psychotherapists apply a comprehensive treatment for addictive disorders.
Bioelectromagnetism and bioresonance are a non-invasive method of treating addictions and diseases, based on the principles of quantum physics, in which use is made of electromagnetic waves, which are the “language” of the brain, to heal and stabilize it.
Biomagna Pro: A natural and effective solution for the treatment of addictions
Biomagna Pro is a device for the treatment of addictions, which emits specific electromagnetic waves, in the same brain frequency, that neutralize and alleviate the anxiety that addictions produce in the human brain.
The continuous use of Biomagna Pro helps the brain to normalize dopamine levels that provide the patient with a sense of well-being, which suppresses anxiety, one of the characteristics associated with video game addiction.
Biomagna Pro is tomorrow’s medicine, successfully applied to the therapy and treatment of various pathologies of today, and its technological and futuristic component, powerfully attracts teenagers who enjoy the benefits of its use.
In conclusion, we can highly recommend Biomagna Pro therapy, as bioresonance treatments have proven to be clinically effective, very economical and have no side effects.